Display website visitors information from Google Analytics API
To make this work, you’ll need a google API credential, link it to google analytics and find your website viewID.
- Open the Service accounts page and create a project named wtfutil.
- Navigation menu > IAM & admin > Service accounts
- Click add Create Service Account, enter a name (wtfutil) for the service account.
- The Service account permissions (optional) section that follows is not required. Click Continue.
- On the Grant users access to this service account screen, scroll down to the Create key section. Click add Create key.
- In the side panel that appears, select the format for your key: JSON.
- Click Create. Your new public/private key pair is generated and downloaded to your machine; it serves as the only copy of this key.
- Copy this json to indicated filepath in wtfutil googleanalytics module Configuration.
- Enable the Google Analytics APIS and Services (Navigation menu > APIS and Services > +Enable APIS and Services > Google Analytics Reporting API > Enable)
The newly created service account will have an email address that looks similar to:
Use this email address to add a user to the Google analytics view you want to access via the API (admin > user management > add users). Only Read & Analyze permissions are needed. Get the website viewID and put it in the config file.
googleanalytics: enabled: true months: 5 position: top: 0 left: 3 width: 2 height: 1 refreshInterval: 400 secretFile: "~/.config/wtf/google_analytics/client_secret.json" viewIds: tessellation: "00000000" dylanbartels.com: "111111111"
||Optional Whether or not this module is executed and if its data displayed onscreen. Default: false.||true, false|
||The amount of months being displayed with website session data.||Any positive integer.|
||Defines where in the grid this module’s widget will be displayed.|
||Optional How often, in seconds, this module will update its data. Default: 300.||Any positive integer|
||Your Google client secret JSON file.||A string representing a file path to the JSON secret file.|
||Website(s) who will be displayed in the module, label does not have to corresponding to the actual url. Value must be the google analytics viewID of the website.||A string representing the viewID.|